Songs for Christmas Eve

It's Christmas tomorrow and this year I've learnt...... not to drink and blog. Sorry I've had a few and this will be even worse than normal.
@Christmas_aGoGo are awesome and they suggested Christmas Eve In My Hometown by Bobby Vinton and Christmas Eve by Screeching Weasel, but we are doing the indie/alternative thing so here's a start on our favourite Alternative songs for the night before the big event. I reckon we will revist this in coming years and update it with anything new we find. Have a happy one and I'll see you on the other side.

Tom McRae and the Standing Band - Christmas Eve 1943.
This story of wartime preparations for Christmas with all the appropriate solemnity isn't a happy place but it'a  beautiful thing. A timely reminder of all we have to be thankful for.


Wombats - Is this Christmas?
"Twas the night before Christmas" narates Les Dennis in the prelude to this tune only to follow up that "not a creature was stirring except for a Wombat?" Well quite, from there it's a great deal of indie jingle jangle fun about the joys and otherwise of the festive season at home. Secret fact, I used to live with the Wombats sound engineer, nice bloke.


Teenage Fanclub - Christmas Eve
This is the same tune as the Gorky's later I prefer that version but this is a nice elongated version.


Bright Eyes - The Night before Christmas.
It's taken from Bright Eyes Christmas album. It's the classic poem which I didn't know before I just looked it up is actually not called the night before Christmas it's called 'a visit from St. Nicohlas'.


Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Christmas Eve
Welsh band that managed to almost hit the britpop bandwagon but were just weird enough to fall for that. This is genuinely one of my favourite Christmas songs full stop. So I'll just leave it there and you can listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Christmas Music: 2018's Playlist

Best Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas covers

Best Little Drummer Boy covers