2017 Wrap Up, Belle and Sebastian, KT Tunstall and Mac Demarco

Hello again, last post of the year and just a few releases I have tweeted about but not had chance to put down in a blog so it's there when people search for it. You see that's why I write this blog because I used to spend ages looking for Indie Christmas tunes, I still do but I always wanted to find yet another blog that collected the Christmas songs they found so I could add them to the CDs I send out instead of Christmas cards.

Belle and Sebastian have a long association with BBC sessions going back to the late legend of my teenage years John Peel. In particular they have put in some brilliant Christmas covers over the years. There's this version of the Sonics' Santa Claus and then there's the Twelve Days of Christmas with Alan Partridge in the pear tree. Here they perform live for  BBC Scotland I think. Stuart looks likes he's forgotten the words but it's a fast paced rattle through the Waitresses Christmas hit. We love it and I reckon it's odds on the lead out next years playlist.


Next we have KT Tunstall, she's never been the coolest act but she does Christmas songs as evidenced by her 2007 Christmas Album and I quite like some of her stuff. She's gone all socially conscious on us with her Hollywood composer friend Christopher Lennertz singing about what better gifts of love and peace Santa could give out. It's only a video for now but there's a promise of a proper release in time for next Christmas. 


And finally for the year we have Mac Demarco who is one of those acts whose name I know but has until now passed me by. The list of acts I've first got into through their Christmas music grows all the time. He gives us a wonky take on Wonderful Christmastime. It's a frankly awful song in it's original form so I'm always grateful when people like this get hold of it and twist it like this.


Right that's me for the year I promise more regular updates through the year on @xmassongblog on that twitter thing. Any suggestions new or old you spot message me there or at xmassongblog@outlook.com see you all in 2018.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alternative Christmas Music: 2018's Playlist

Best Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas covers

Best Little Drummer Boy covers